Monday, January 17, 2011

Anglican Ordinariate - odd announcement from Vatican Information Services

Under OTHER PONTIFICAL ACTS:

- Appointed Rev. Keith Newton as first ordinary of the new Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham in the territory of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. Rev. Newton was born in Liverpool, England in 1952 and ordained a priest in 1976 for the Anglican diocese of Chelmsford. In March 2002 he was ordained as suffragan bishop of Richborough.

All good news, of course. Why the inclusion of his Anglican cv (almost giving tacit recognition of his anglican orders: "ordained a priest") and nothing about his ordination as a Catholic priest on 15th January?

7 comments:

  1. You are right. When I sent them a reply I made the same points and asked why had the VIS failed to mention his Ordination as a Catholic Priest. At that stsage I had not read your posting. Maybe I should have made similar Post.I think it would be good if VIS was inundated with similar emails! Sometimes I think it knows little theology or Church history. Matters seem to have got much worse since the arrival of Fr. Lombardi SJ as spokesman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I explicitly asked if they were recognising Anglican Orders. I wonder will I get a reply

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, Father. I didn't think of contacting them. I have put a comment on their page which I doubt will be published, but at least they will see it. Hopefully others will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just posted a comment at 8.58pm (UK time). There were no other commenst visible at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read on line this morning, in the comments field on another blog, that words "first Mass" were put in quotations marks at Rev Andrew Burnham's first Mass.

    This concerns me, as it does other traditional Catholics. At our usual discussions over coffee this past Sunday morning the worry that this process is giving a certain amount of legitimacy to Anglican orders was expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David: that would be very worrying indeed. Which blog was that on? It would be important to challenge such a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David,
    I think "First" Mass would be a correct phrase, but not "First Mass". Technically the Mass in which he was ordained was his First Mass as he would have become A CONCELEBRANT during the ceremony abd would have participated in Consecration etc ,

    ReplyDelete

Please avoid being 'anonymous' if at all possible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...