Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hello World

The last time I posted was a few days after arriving at my new parish of St Anthony in Gwinn, MI. I have been very busy getting acquainted with parish and parishioners. I have to inform my readers that I am extremely happy with the appointment. Parishioners have been most welcoming. My predecessor, Father Ron Timock, has left the parish in a very good state spiritually. Under his stewardship this somewhat modern church was reordered according to a much more traditional line. There are many statues, a fine tabernacle (which used to be at St Peter's Cathedral Marquette) centrally positioned, "Benedictine" arrangement of crucifix and candles on the altar, and the people are accustomed to a liturgy celebrated with dignity and reverence.


I am still wondering when I shall have my first battle. So far it all seems plain sailing in that people are just so willing to promote evangelisation, faith formation for the young and adult, etc. There is all day Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament on Mondays from after the 10:00am Mass until 10:00 pm. I was very pleasantly surprised by the number of people who came for Benediction at 9:45pm last Monday.

As with so many parishes here in the US there is a memorial to the victims of abortion in the lovely grounds:


You can see the very nice rectory in the background.

I am also responsible for St Joseph's Mission in Northland some 25 miles away. I go there every Sunday for Mass at 9am. Again, there is a wonderful group of parishioners, all committed to the welfare of the parish and accustomed to a reverent and respectful liturgy.



During the past week at St Anthony's there was a Vacation Bible Study for young children. As well as the Bible they had the opportunity to learn something about the saints who were celebrated during the week. Here's a slide show of photos taken on the feast of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, the Lily of the Mohawks:


You can read our parish bulletins here. My first two issues are 10th July and 17th July. I am working on renewing the presentation but you'll get a flavour of how things are.

I hope to start posting on more serious topics now that I have my feet under the desk. There are so many troubling things going on: the excommunication of the newly ordained bishop in China, the continuing fallout from the abuse scandal in Ireland, to name but a few. Wheat and cockle (this Sunday's Gospel) come to mind. I hope to give some comment. But first I must inform myself. I have hardly looked at a blog for the last fortnight (two weeks for my American readers).

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Father. I hope you will be very happy, and you and your people made holy. I have to say that I would love a parish like that, and I am very happy for you, and for them.

    But we all miss you in the UK, and pray for your return as and when God wills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds lovely, and I'm sure they parish are very pleased to welcome you too. It must be very encouraging to find so much already established in a parish and, as you say, no battles at the moment!

    Wonderful to see the memorial to victims of abortion; even more wonderful to hear that this is quite commonplace in the US. I've never seen it here though of course, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael Prokopowicz17 July, 2011 09:58

    Some background on the memorials to the unborn. At the 1992 Knights of Columbus convention in New York City (which Catherine and I were priviledged to attend) our councils were charged by John Cardinal OConnor to erect memorials to the unborn throughout the nation to draw attention to the destructiveness of abortion. M Prokopowicz

    ReplyDelete

Please avoid being 'anonymous' if at all possible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...