Thursday, September 20, 2012

If Islam is not a rational belief system, it cannot survive.



"By their fruits you will know them." I don't approve of insulting the religious beliefs of anyone (French magazine adds fuel to fire), but I strongly disapprove of the irrational reaction to the insults. I think it is highly irresponsible for people to publish these insults because we know that it will inflame the hatred that many Moslems seem to bear towards "the West". The lives of westerners stationed or working abroad are now in further danger. Furthermore, Christians who bear no hatred towards Moslems will be at risk, too. Those who publish these insulting materials cannot be considered to be behaving in a Christian way. Jesus would not do it. But perhaps the "Christian" west should be making a much stronger stand before Moslem nations about religious freedom and tolerance in their own lands. But violence would not be our way of reacting to attacks on our religion (except in the case of legitimate self-defence.)  The Cross tells us how to react: "I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting. The Lord God is my help..." (Is 50: 6-7)

I have been wondering how to formulate my thoughts on this matter and have come across the excellent blog post of A Reluctant Sinner: As Islam totters on the brink, millions of souls are turning towards the light of Christ -- Christians need not be afraid! I would recommend you read it. Islam has nothing to offer today rationalist world. Christianity - and Catholicism in particular - is the only religion that can be said to be truly reasonable. And so we will, in the end, win in the battle for ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please avoid being 'anonymous' if at all possible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...