Monday, July 9, 2012

Girl Guides Australia promise: replaces God with self



Girl Guides, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts used always to promise to do their best to do their duty to God and the Queen. At least that's what I used to promise when I was a Cub and then a Scout as a youngster.

The British Girl Guides make the following promise:
I promise that I will do my best:
to love my God,
to serve the Queen and my country,
to help other people
and to keep the Guide Law.
In the USA they say:
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.
I do not remember the word "my" in the promise I made as a youth. God was simply God, the One God. Now, each of the above can be interpreted fairly broadly. "My God" could mean the Christian God, the Jewish God, any Hindu god... It could even by me, if I set myself up as God.

Well, the Australian Girl Guides have replaced God precisely by the "me". Their new promise is:
I promise that I will do my best
to be true to myself and develop my beliefs
to serve my community and Australia
and live by the Guide Law.
The Canadian Guide Promise is similar:
I promise to do my best,
to be true to myself, my beliefs and Canada.
I will take action for a better world
and respect the Guiding Law.
It's a pretty poor show to eliminate the Queen from the promise who is the Head of State of Australia. Youngsters should surely be taught to respect the Head of State as long as she is the Head. But that is not enough. Youngsters now promise to put themselves at the centre of their lives. "Be true to your self". "Be the person you want to be, not the person others want you to be." These are the types of mantra that one hears at High School graduation ceremonies in the public (state) schools here in the US where God cannot be mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. Fr.,

    Please go look in the post-Vatican II "spirit" mirror for an understanding of how this happened.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete
  2. The US Girl Scouts made the word "God" optional in their pledge a few years ago.
    Heres what they say about that " * The word "God" can be interpreted in a number of ways, depending on one's spiritual beliefs. When reciting the Girl Scout Promise, it is okay to replace the word "God" with whatever word your spiritual beliefs dictate"

    ReplyDelete

Please avoid being 'anonymous' if at all possible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...